Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Who Madison Square Garden, Wednesday December 5, 2012 New York City



Who Are You?
I’ve been waiting a long time to see The Who.  I wanted to see them when they weren’t pushing anything.  I guess I was waiting for a ‘hits’ show.  This was the closest I guess I will get.  I got tickets in August when they first went on sale.  Originally I was supposed to go with my Aunt, who later bowed out, leaving me with an extra ticket.  So I found my music loving neighbor wanted to go, and she did.  On our way to the city it was warmer, but after we got off the train, the temperature dropped and the wind was cutting through my windbreaker.  After a sub-par BBQ dinner, we were on our way to The Garden.  This was my neighbor’s first time visiting the behemoth arena.  After a brief bag check and perusal of the merch table, we were on our way to the 200 section seats I had secured with a Chase pre-sale.  I was not aware there was going to be an opener, but after the first few bars of the opening song, it was clear this band was not my cup of tea.  The only opener I like is when it’s a big artist, like when Knopfler open for Dylan or CSN opens for Tom Petty.  I walked around the beautifully restored NYC landmark.  I chatted up a friendly usher and found out that The Who would take the stage at 8:30 and be done by 10:45.  In the back of my mind, I was thinking that I would be able to catch the 11:22 and make it an early night.  I made it back to my seat for the start of the main event.
 I have never heard the Quadrophenia album before.  While I know both of the original members are in their late 60’s, I was shocked with how good both of them sounded.  Pete has been very rough the last decade or so, and Roger has been straining for quite a while, but miraculously, both were in good spirit and voice.  Roger and the production team did a fine job of bringing the opus to life on stage.  There were big screens so everyone could easily see the show.  Quadrophenia dragged on, there were a lot of fans who loved hearing the album from start to finish, but most of us were there for the hits at the end.  There were some touching tributes to dearly departed members Keith Moon and John Entwistle.

After an hour and a half, Pete thanked and introduced the band, thanked Roger and they launched into the hits.  Roger’s voice was a little tired during the hits.  Maybe they should start doing shorter shows to save his voice a bit.  The backup singers were cutting through and holding the notes in the background for Roger.  During Pinball Wizard when Roger was twirling his mic by its cable, he inadvertently tripped over Simon’s (Pete’s brother) wedge and tumbled, but didn’t miss a beat and came back in when he was supposed to.  I happened to have the camera rolling at the exact moment and it is quite comical the way they kept playing.  Both and Pete and Roger were cracking up and trying to finish the song with some decorum.  The show took a morbid turn when Roger and Pete were talking about 2 dear friends who died in the span of the week.  But after that they closed the show with Tea & Theatre.  I would have rather had Substitute or something fun, but Pete asked me to stop making the set lists.  A southern rambler named Stratton Lawrence who was sitting next to me during the show, asked me to send him some pictures I took, so check out his review on his website, strattonlawrence.com
 I Am the Sea
The Real Me
Quadrophenia
Cut My Hair
The Punk And The Godfather
I'm One
The Dirty Jobs
Helpless Dancer
Is It in My Head?
I've Had Enough
5:15
Sea and Sand
Drowned
Bell Boy
Doctor Jimmy
The Rock
Love, Reign O'er Me>Band Introductions
Who Are You
Behind Blue Eyes
Pinball Wizard
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again
Tea & Theatre 

No comments:

Post a Comment