Friday, December 21, 2012

2012 Year in Review



Here is the list, the list that everyone has been waiting for…no not that list, the list of concerts I have been to this year.  You will see some duplicates and some new names on the list.  I crossed off a lot of artists on my bucket list this year.  Most of them were at the 12.2.12. Concert!  Here are some of this year’s highlights. 

Jimmy Buffett in Florida.  While it was cold up north, I was wearing shorts and sipping margaritas in an air conditioned arena in Orlando.  I also got some mini golf and bike riding in.  Thanks Jimmy and my Aunt!   
I finally got dragged to a full Bruce Springsteen show.  If New Jersey could harness the energy that man has, they could light their state for free!   
 I never would have thought I would get to write that I saw the original surviving Beach Boys, let alone see them 3 times!  I had second row seats to CSN at the Oakdale.   


Ringo Starr’s All-Starr Band was the best I think he’s ever put together.  I know I say that every time, but this time I mean it.   
 Even though it was only two concerts, I have George Thorogood and Steve Miller and Huey Lewis and Joe Cocker listed as separate since they did lengthy sets each.  Joe Cocker was an utter delight.  The man still has such passion and soul in his voice.  George Thorogood destroyed the stage with The Destroyers.  Huey Lewis is straining on a lot of songs, but still puts on a good show.  I was a little disappointed with Steve Miller’s set, but he is such a good guitar player that I will let it slide.   

Hearing the “SO” album from start to finish was one of the top highlights this year.  Peter Gabriel can still sing quite well and really put a lot of effort into putting together an engaging show for the audience.   
 I also got to hear the 1st (and best) CSN album from start to finish at the intimate Beacon Theatre.  It was clear that it was the last show of the tour, by the tired voice of Stephen Stills, but as one of them said, this is the longest tour they have ever done.  It started in March and went to October.   
The other top highlight was seeing Mark Knopfler!  He puts on such a great show.  The set list is very engaging and even though people were not there to see him (they were there to see Dylan) I think he put them all under his spell.  In my opinion, he is one of the best guitar players EVER!  We left early and only saw maybe like 5 songs from Dylan.  He has no voice, but I knew that going in.  I never thought I would ever see Mike Nesmith with the original core Monkees.  Yes it was very upsetting that Davy Jones couldn’t be there, but what a night of music with the Monkees.  Just as promised, it was interactive and was loaded with rare footage and it was a very nice celebration of Davy Jones’ life.  Mike still has such a good voice, maybe it’s from years of not being used (hint hint Mike!).   






You can read the review of The Who if you like, but I thought Roger and Pete still have a lot of music in them.  They have an awesome backing band and Pete can still play quite well.  


 The top highlight of this year, and probably of my concert going career is the 12.12.12 Sandy Relief Concert.  It started promptly at 7:30 and was broadcast live around the globe from Madison Square Garden in the heart of NYC.  From the first note to Paul McCartney’s last, I knew that I was a part of something that only 17,000 other people would ever be privy to.  It’s different than watching it at home, we had great elevated floor seats on the aisle.  Most of the people in my section were well behaved, with the exception of the drunken assholes that kept voicing their opinions about the artists they don’t like.  I’m not a fan of Alicia Keys but I would never boo her and make nasty comments, out loud at least, have some class fellas.  I was wondering how they were going to get all the artists on the stage and off in four and half hours, which they didn’t, it took five hours and fifty minutes! 

Enjoy some photographic highlights from throughout the year. 


2/5/2012        Jimmy Buffett Amway Center, Orlando, FL
4/6/2012        Bruce Springsteen MSG
4/29/2012      Colin Hay Ridgefield Playhouse
5/8/2012        Beach Boys Beacon Theatre, NYC
5/9/2012        Beach Boys Beacon Theatre, NYC
5/13/2012      Beach Boys Mohegan Sun Arena
6/16/2012      Crosby Stills & Nash Oakdale
6/17/2012      Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band Mohegan Sun Arena
6/26/2012      Jimmy Buffett Mohegan Sun Arena
8/3/2012        George Thorogood MGM Grand (opening for Steve Miller)
8/3/2012        Steve Miller Band MGM Grand
8/4/2012        Huey Lewis & The News MGM Grand
8/4/2012        Joe Cocker MGM Grand
10/13/2012    Peter Gabriel Mohegan Sun Arena
10/16/2012    Crosby Stills & Nash Beacon Theatre, NYC
10/17/2012    Crosby Stills & Nash Beacon Theatre, NYC
10/22/2012    Crosby Stills & Nash Beacon Theatre, NYC
11/21/2012     Mark Knopfler/Bob Dylan Barclay's Center Brooklyn
12/02/2012    The Monkees Beacon Theatre NYC
12/05/2012    The Who MSG
12/12/2012    12.12.12 The Concert for Sandy Relief

2012 was a great year filled with great music.  As always, I want to wish my fellow loyal readers a happy holiday season and nothing but the best in the coming year.  (Note: please don't borrow or use any of the photos in the blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment