Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Reluctant Vampire!



Jonathan Frid who played Barnabas Collins in the original Dark Shadows series is dead.  There would be hopes from fans that he would rise again to stalk the townspeople of his little hometown in Ontario at night, but we’ll have to wait and see. 

He was also the star of the feature film version of Dark Shadows called House of Dark Shadows, made in 1970 by MGM.  That film, in my mind will always be the only Dark Shadows movie made.  As far as I’m concerned, that ‘thing’ coming out next month called Dark Shadows is not a movie that I will see. 

I saw Jon in the flesh one day at the Dark Shadows festival in 2009.  He was very spry for a man of 85.  I was one of the first people to pick him out as he made a surprise appearance the day before he was to appear.  I even have 2 autographs. 

Having just received the complete series in a little child sized coffin, it will be weird plowing through the 1,225 episodes knowing that he is no longer with us.  He died almost a week after it was announced.  I am saddened but happy that we have all 1,225 episodes of Barnabas bloopers to watch.  There are some doozies in those old video tapes from the 1960’s. 

Thanks Jon for the memories, rest in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment