Friday, April 27, 2012

Paul McCartney Rewind Madison Square Garden April 26, 2002


Hard to believe the first time I saw my musical idol was a decade ago.  I was a freshman in college, boy and I getting old!  I remember the tickets went on sale only about two months before the actual show.  This was at the beginning of my concert going career before I used to go to all the shows back to back.  Paul was playing back to back at Madison Square Garden on April 26th and 27th, a Friday and Saturday night.  I opted to go to the first show thinking his voice would be better the first night.  He was 59 at the time which seemed ancient to me.  He’s going to be 70 in a few weeks!! 

As the tickets went on sale, I tried to get tickets on Ticketmaster.  I was at college and had a fast internet connection so I scored a really nice seat on the first level off the floor.  Section 89.  I had to use my mother’s credit card because the price was so expensive and spent a month paying her back.  Face value was $250.00, a small fortune a decade ago. 

As the day drew closer it was decided that my father would drive our blue Chevy family car into the city with my mother and younger brother in tow.  I remember paying cash for the tolls, that’s how long ago it was.  What was EZ-Pass?  I was only 18 at the time but still have vivid memories about that evening.  It was a cool night in April in the greatest city on earth.  I left school early and was home around 1pm.  Stopped to get my paycheck and cash it for some money for incidentals (Programs, posters, etc.).  The blue car barreled down I-95 towards the Big Apple without encountering a lot of traffic.  We found our way to J&R Music World.  I enjoyed walking around and finding CD, VHS and DVDs, even LaserDiscs that you would not see in our local music stores.  I bought the “Concert for New York City” on DVD, which Paul played a few songs. 

We made our way over to Madison Square Garden, found a place to park and my family walked around while I was heading in.  This was right after 9/11 so security was tight.  This is the only time I have ever been “wanded” at Madison Square Garden.  It was also my first time visiting the world famous arena.  I remember taking the escalators up a few levels.  I wasn’t too impressed with the shape of the old place.  I remember the ugly purple plastic seats.  They were hard and uncomfortable.  I remember the ushers wearing heavy suits with the frilly things on the shoulders.  I even tipped my usher a buck for showing me to my seat.  I was a big spender back then.  I felt a little hungry so I went a got a pretzel and soda.  That cost me about 8 bucks I think.  In those days I was so naive.  I thought if the ticket said 8pm, the show would start at 8pm.  Little did I know that’s never the case for Paul McCartney shows.

Around 8:40 the pre-show started.  Paul had these clowns and a circus show playing this music that slowly, and I mean slowly, built to his grand appearance.  After about 20 minutes of the circus show, the music got louder and then Paul’s Hofner appeared on the big screen.  It was showtime!  I cheated and looked up the setlist so I knew he would open with Hello, Goodbye.  A great choice and I think his best opener, next to Venus & Mars/Rockshow from the 70’s.

He was in very good voice for most of the show.  He had 2 days off between gigs to rest his voice.  He played Washington DC before coming to NYC.  He nailed Hello Goodbye, except a few minor cracks.  The crowd was very receptive and cheered rather loudly after each song.  The legend had come back to the fold and after nine years on hiatus with touring, Macca was back!

The band seamlessly launched into a rocking up-tempo version of Jet.  His voice effortlessly hit those notes.  Wix (Paul “Wix” Wickens), the keyboardist played Linda’s solo in the middle of the song with one hand while playing the piano part.  Wix is a genus and I was glad that Paul got him back.  After this song, he said “Oh New York, we have come to rock you tonight!”  During All My Loving, they had video from “A Hard Day’s Night” playing on the big screens.  Brian screwed up the solo a little bit, but it was barely noticeable. 


Paul removed his Hofner and put on his lefty ’59 Les Paul (only like 3 were ever made) that was an anniversary gift from Linda one year.  He then told us “we’re going to have a good time tonight.”  He started the story about Getting Better not being done since the 60’s when he recorded it.  What I like about his new band (at the time) is that Rusty really tried hard to replicate the guitar sound on most of the Beatle songs.  His old guitarist Robbie McIntosh, did not.  Paul swapped guitars for the Hofner again and told us we’re going to “boogie woogie” and started Coming Up.  This does not sound like the recorded version, it sounds like a mix between a new arrangement and Wix’s old keyboard part when it was done on the 89-90 World Tour.  This version does make the cut on the official live album from this tour, Back in the US.  Four songs from my show made it on the CD. 

Paul slung the Les Paul on to play Let Me Roll It.  He even has a little guitar solo in the middle.  After this song, he took his jacket off and the crowd went crazy.  He said “it’s getting hot in here.”  He informed us that the next few songs were new songs.  Lonely Road, Driving Rain and Your Loving Flame are all from the new (at the time) album Driving Rain.  This is not a particularly good album, but it did what all his fans wanted, it got Macca back out on the road.  There were some bum notes during Lonely Road.  He should have saved his voice for better songs.  I liked Driving Rain and enjoyed the live version.  There is a nice 12-string on that song played by Brian Ray.  Paul introduced Abe, the drummer.  Abe did his bit and introduced the next song while Paul took his place at the Steinway.  Paul did not mention her by name, but said this song was written for a very special person in the audience (Heather).  This song also made it to the live CD. 

Now came the acoustic part of the show.  Paul tells the story of writing Blackbird about a Black woman in the 1960’s American south.  Next up is one of my all time favorites, Every Night from the McCartney album in 1970.  His voice effortlessly hit the high part.  We Can Work it Out was next and I must admit that I called our answering machine at home during this song just so I could have some of the concert recorded.  This was back in the days before YouTube and Twitter.  Now a days, everything is up on YouTube ten minutes after it happens.  The next couple songs are worthless and the banter doesn’t change much from show to show.  Mother Nature’s Son is a weird choice since he couldn’t sing it most nights.  Vanilla Sky is another miss.  You Never Me Your Money is a weird choice, but actually works nicely slowly and solo on the piano.  The bit about forgetting the words is cute, but pointless since he started using a TelePrompter during this tour.  Fool on the Hill is a missed song, wish it would come back to the set.  It sounds nice with just Wix on fake keyboard flute.  I would have liked the tambourine.  But hand claps from the audience filled in nicely.  Paul told us we were a “wonderful audience.” 

Paul then introduced Here Today for John.  He played it solo and there were no photos of John, just a stream of colored water.  Then came Something which Paul played on the ukulele and there were funny photos of George playing in the background. 

The band came back on stage and took their places for Eleanor Rigby.  Up next is one my favorite songs, Here, There and Everywhere.  The arrangement sounds like the record.  After this, Paul traded in his Martin acoustic for the Hofter again and started a rocking second set.

First up was Band on the Run.  I was so happy to see that Brian played a 12-string on the last part, just like the recording.  In previous tours, it was played on electric guitar.  This little detail added another faithful reproduction of the original sound.  Red lights washed the stage and the airplane noise filled the world famous arena.  Paul sang an up-tempo version of Back in the USSR.  Paul then introduced Rusty who did his little banter bit then threw it back over to Paul.  Paul sang the opening line of Maybe I’m Amazed.  This song was challenging for him even ten years ago.  He almost screams during some parts just to hit the notes.  Up next is another great forgotten song, C Moon.  It’s just so silly and fun to listen to.  Abe added a cool hi-hat part to this song.  I never really liked the recorded version, but thoroughly enjoy the live version from this tour.  C Moon was quickly dropped for the second leg and replaced with Let Em In, another great song from the Wings days.  After he finished the song, Paul explained how he got the C Moon from the old song Wooly Bully and L-7 meaning square, how hip!  Up next was My Love, and I think this is the first time he actually dedicated it to Linda on this tour.  He also dedicated it to all the lovers in the house.  Paul actually introduced Wix with his real first name “Paul Wix Wickens.”  Wix said that the people in creative accounting told him this show was his 200th show playing with Paul.  Wix pulled on his guitar and toasted himself with a glass of Champaign.  He said he would try to play the right chords tonight and they launched into Can’t Buy Me Love.  Paul switched guitars and sang that intolerable song Freedom.  Looking back on this tour, songs like this make it sound so dated.  Paul finally introduced Brian Ray before they Paul started Live and Let Die.  The bangs were quite impressive but so incredibly loud.  I covered my ears just to be safe, and I’m glad I did.  After the smoke cleared, Paul started a serene Let It Be.  Rusty played a great guitar solo, it sounded just like George’s on the album. 

Hey Jude from NYC made it onto the live album too.  This is always a great participation song.  He played it on his psychedelic piano in the front of the stage.  After wrapping up Hey Jude, the band did their bows and left the stage.  The audience clapped for what seemed like minutes, while Paul changed his shirt into a red “No More Landmines” shirt in support of his girlfriend’s charity.  I used to think that if I clapped loud, the band would come back.  But I know that Paul’s encores are planned and he will play them no matter what, so now I save my hands. 

Next up was the ever lovely Long & Winding Road.  Next, to keep rocking, Paul started Lady Madonna, which was also on the live CD.  The sax solo was very realistic.  Wix really is good at emulating those instruments from the records.  Paul effortless sang the first track off the first Beatles album, I Saw Her Standing There. 

There was another fake encore pause break.  Paul came back and sang Yesterday with his Epiphone acoustic with the Detroit Wings sticker on it.  This is the same guitar he used to sing that song on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1965.  You could hear the audience singing along, in key I might add.  Paul thanked his crew and the audience and after an extended Sgt. Peppers jam that flowed right into The End from Abbey Road the show was over and the audience was showered with confetti shot from two huge confetti guns from each side of the stage.  Thanks Paul for a great show!  You’re right, I’ll see you next time!

Hello, Goodbye
Jet
All My Loving
Getting Better
Coming Up
Let Me Roll It
Lonely Road
Driving Rain
Your Loving Flame
Blackbird
Every Night
We Can Work it Out
Mother Nature’s Son
Vanilla Sky
You Never Give Me Your Money
Fool on the Hill
Here Today
Something
Eleanor Rigby
Here, There & Everywhere
Band on the Run
Back in the USSR
Maybe I’m Amazed
C Moon
My Love
Can’t Buy Me Love
Freedom
Live & Let Die
Let It Be
Hey Jude

The Long & Winding Road
Lady Madonna
I Saw Her Standing There

Yesterday
Sgt. Peppers/The End



1 comment: