Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Dream Paul McCartney setlist on the run with my money to Yankee Stadium


You can look, but I doubt you’d find a bigger Paul McCartney fan, or Macca as we uber fans refer to him as.  I have stuck with this man through tick and thin, and now that he has no voice left, I’m not about to give up on him.  I went to all three nights at CitiField and sat through the SAME EXACT SET LIST all three nights, and even got rained on during the first night (tears from Heaven as Macca dubbed it).  That’s the kind of dedication I have for this man.  I have spent $1770 to date to see this man, so this is how I figure I can be brutally honest about him in my blog. 

Paul your set list is getting a bit stale.  When you introduce one new song, the audience gasps for more.  There is no reason you can not retire some of the older songs.  People would love to see a Paul McCartney solo show.  Below I have made two ideal set lists, one for the stadium shows you have been doing, and one for the small theatre/club shows you should be doing to showcase some of your best and forgotten solo material.

I have sculpted his recent set list into something that I think is perfectly balanced with Beatles songs and solo and Wings material.  Face it, the world would not end if he didn’t do Beatles songs, but for some reason he feels like he must do them, so I picked the ones that have not been done for a while or at all.  I have also taken his voice into account, because lets face it, for 68, he’s not the best singer anymore, and I have been there for some major fuck ups, but I have been there for some great shows too. 

I also think the problem lies with the band, they have gotten too comfortable with the songs and need to be shaken up a bit.  His youthful band (most of them in their 40’s and 50’s) has been playing with him for 10 years now.  I can’t believe it, but Driving Rain is now 10 years old.  It wasn’t the best album, lets face it, it wasn’t even on the top 25, but it did what all of us wanted, it got Macca back on the road where he belongs. 

Macca does not need the money, his divorce didn’t wipe him clean, his children’s great grand children will still not to have to work for a living, so why does he have to charge so damn much to see him?  He says it’s not up to him, but it is.  Paul is sometimes like Liberace.  He is always over the top.  Can we go with 2 video screens instead of 10?  Does every show have to professionally filmed for it never to be released?  You’re Paul McCartney, not God.  Your every move does not need to be documented for future release.  Also, what is happening with this footage, it will never be released, so why even bother?  Don’t get me wrong, his shows can be impressive when he remembers the words.  There is no excuse to not remember the words, he has been using a teleprompter since the 2002 tour.  When he’s getting paid $12,500 a minute, you want to make sure he sings the songs right.

As I always say, I have a love/hate relationship with Paul.  Some things he does get on my nerves, but I will still shell out another 300 bucks to go see him at Yankee Stadium.  I’m lucky that I already booked Peter Frampton tickets (for 35 bucks btw) on the night he is doing the second concert and Yankee Stadium, so I can only go the Friday night one.  My wallet thanks me for that one, also, a back to back show can go either way with him sometimes. 

Below are the ideal set lists:

Stadium shows                                                            Macca Club Shows
Hello, Goodbye                                                            Venus & Mars
Jet                                                                                Rockshow       
Flaming Pie                                                                   Jet       
Drive My Car                                                               Letting Go
Junior’s Farm                                                               Let Me Roll It
Letting Go                                                                    Flaming Pie
Let Me Roll It                                                               Coming Up
You Won’t See Me                                                      Another Day    
She’s A Woman                                                           Take It Way    
Got to Get You Into My Life                                        Beautiful Night
Maybe I’m Amazed                                                      Fine Line
Long & Winding Road                                                  Let Em In
1985                                                                            Ballroom Dancing
Let Em In                                                                     Sing the Changes
Listen to What the Man Said                                         Temporary Secretary
Blackbird                                                                     Every Present Past
Everynight                                                                    Tug of War
Eleanor Rigby                                                               Picasso’s Last Words
Mrs. Vanderbilt                                                            Mrs. Vanderbilt
Too Many People/She Came In Through….                 Everynight
Penny Lane                                                                  With a Little Luck
Good Day Sunshine                                                      Band on the Run
Band on the Run                                                           Too Many People
Back in the USSR                                                        Press
Paperback Writer                                                         The World Tonight
Ob-la-di                                                                       You Gave Me the Answer
Maxwell’s Silver Hammer                                             Wanderlust      
Live & Let Die                                                             C Moon          
Hey Jude                                                                      1985
                                                                                    Soily
Yesterday
Get Back                                                                      Hi Hi Hi
Helter Skelter                                                               My Love
                                                                                    Listen to What the Man Said
I Saw Her Standing There
Please Please Me                                                         Maybe I’m Amazed
Day Tripper                                                                  Silly Love Songs
                                                                                    Uncle Albert
Lady Madonna
Let It Be                                                                       Juniors Farm
Sgt. Peppers/The End                                                   Live & Let Die

2 comments:

  1. CT - I feel your pain. Paul's should definately include more Wings stuff in both stadium/club shows - if he ever does a club tour. I like your dream 'stadium' set but even there, knock out "Madonna", Paperback Writer" and some of the tired over done Beatles tunes. I would knock out. "Junior's Farm", "Listen to what the man said", "Wanderlust", Old Siam Sir, "Arrow Through Me", "No More Lonely Nights, In the World Tonight "Silly Love Songs", stuff from 'Flowers" and "Ram", would be great. Ir wouldn't be the end of the world if he dumped the tributes to John and George. Maybe do "All you Need is Love" and dedicate it to both of them?

    But Paul is as close to "king" as there is, and I will humbly rock with him when I can! But wouldn't it be cool to hear him play "I'm Carrying" or maybe "this Never happened Before"? We can only hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have edited the above. I meant to add (not knock out the songs mentioned above. Here is my dream setlist:

    Venus & Mars/Rockshow
    Jet
    All my Loving
    Another Day
    In the world Tonight
    Letting Go
    Junior's Farm
    Let me Roll it/Foxy Lady
    Let 'em In
    Fine Line
    The Long and Winding Road
    Listen to what the Man said
    Fool on the Hill
    Can't Buy Me Love

    One of these Days/Hands across the water
    You won't see me
    My Brave Face
    Eleanor Rigby
    Here there and Everywhere

    Run devil Run
    Back in the USSR
    Too many People/Through the bathroom window
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Old Siam Sir
    Arrow through Me
    Silly Love Songs
    My Love
    Let it Be
    Band on the Run

    The Night Before
    Coming Up
    Backseat of my Car/Hi Hi Hi
    Hey Jude
    Live and Let Die

    I saw her standing there
    Helter Skelter
    All you need is Love
    Yesterday
    Get Back
    Golden Slumbers/The End

    ReplyDelete