Thursday, June 16, 2011

Crosby & Nash Sunday May 22, 2011 Palace Theatre Stamford

So the rapture didn’t come and the world didn’t end.  I don’t want to blame it all on David Crosby & Graham Nash, but I think they might have had a part in it.  We’re still here, and I got to see them at the Palace Theatre in Stamford.  I got tickets in March and one of my usual accomplices my Aunt was going to come, because she really enjoyed the CSN concert at Tanglewood last year.  But at the last minute she had to bow out and I was left with an extra ticket.  I was thinking of who to ask, and I remember my neighbor has been in love Graham Nash for forever so I ran over and asked her, and she obliged.  She was very excited so we made plans and that was that.  To sweeten the pot for me, I found out that this was going to be televised on HDNet.  I was scrambling look for a friend or co-worker with this channel, but no luck.  Anyone catch it?  I’m sure it was awesome! 


We drove down to Stamford, and sat in traffic as is the norm for driving southbound on 95.  We parked in the mall which is free on Sunday and walked the half block to the Palace.  I checked out the merch table and it was freaky because the guy that ran it looked just like a thinner Stephen Stills without the speech problems.  I saw that they were selling USB drives of the show.  I tried to see if I could get better than 320mbps, but that’s all they had.  This might be the audiophile in me, but I think mp3 is the root of all evil (not really but as you can see by my other posts, I really don’t care for it).  The lanyard USB drives would be ready about 30 minutes after the show, which is pretty fast turn around.  As I was getting my ticket to secure my drive after the show, my neighbor, who we’ll call Stacey was chatting up “Stephen” about how to maybe get her Graham Nash book she brought with her signed.  This woman overheard us and said that the tour bus is parked across the street outside and there is a security guard that looks like Graham Nash out there that could fill us in as well.  This woman’s husband looked amazingly like a tanned David Crosby.  So all the look a likes were out there that night!

Outside we went to chat with Bill, who really looked like Graham Nash, down to the mustache and white hair.  He told us that it might be possible right after the show as they walk to the bus.  After chatting with Bill and the other nice security personnel, we went back inside and found our seats in the ‘mezz and waited.  The show started at 7:31 on the dot (maybe to make up for the intro video HDNet made up for the opening credits).  They played a lot of hits, but there were some misses, but all in all the night was great.  I’m writing this while listening to my USB.  


 They opened with the Byrds rocker 8 Miles High.  Graham sang  I Used To Be King, (even though he still is king) and said that they reached into the past for that one.  Wasted on the Way was one of the many highlights for me, I have been to see many CSN concerts and have always wanted to hear this song.  Dean Parks replaced the violin rather nicely with his pedal steel guitar.  Long Time Gone was a standard arrangement.  Next up was a James Raymond (David’s long lost son) penned song called Lay Me Down.  Very mellow and melodic, James really is talented.    

I’m not that big a fan of David Crosby, I mean I like him, but Still and Nash are my favorites, but I did enjoy the Lee Shore which was written by Crosby.  Just a Song is one of my all time top favorite songs and was glad that it has come back into the rotation after being in semi-retirement.  Next Graham ribbed David that during normal shows, this is the part where David gets nervous, but since it’s on TV, it should be ok because David was going to sing a new song.  Slice of Time sounds like most his songs.  It’s good to know that they are still writing, maybe we will get another CSN/CN/CSNY/N album some day.  Next up was the politically relevant Don’t Dig Here.  Graham extended his thoughts and prayers to the poor people of Japan and said that nuclear disasters are now on a global level, and they not just local anymore.  Powerful stuff.  Critical Mass was once again pre-recorded but was the opener for the ever powerfully penned Nash song, Wind on the Water about the whales.  Dead did a fantastic job of mimicking a crying whale with the guitar.  I have never heard of Cowboy Movie, but it was enjoyable.

I have a knack for guessing what song will be played by what guitar the artist is given, and I guessed Marakesh Express and surprised Stacey that I was right.  Now only if I could make some money doing this!  Usually with CSN, James Raymond plays the distorted guitar part on the record, but Dean was playing it on the pedal steel and it sounded really good.  I was very impressed with his playing.  He filled in for Stephen Stills rather nicely.  Graham quipped that somewhere in the bowels of Abbey Road there is an 8 track tape of The Hollies trying to learn this song.  He also added that The Hollies were a great band, but just couldn’t get this one.  I should mention that CSN are doing 2 secret shows at the Beacon in late August.  I say ‘secret’ because you can actually still get tickets for it and I didn’t even know about it.  I overheard some guy say something about it in the merch line.  After Déjà vu there was a 20 minute intermission.

Stacey was off to scope out the bus situation and I was in the line to get an autographed set list.  I also got an autographed poster.  It’s nice to get genuine autographs and you don’t have to be ‘hosed’ on eBay buying something that can be a bit dodgy.  This is when I ran into that lady I sat next to at the Paul Simon Beacon show, the one with the whistler.  After I got my poster and setlist, I got back to my seat just in time for the lights to dim for the second set. 

The second set opened with a great song which Graham dedicated to his wife Susan.  For Simple Man he was playing the guitar and harmonica and singling brilliantly.  For being 69, he still sings incredibly well and goes to show that age really is just a number sometimes.  David dedicated Guinnever to his wife Jan.  They both said they have been on the road for months and miss their family.  In Your Name is a great song or a prayer really about how many people have been killed in the name of religion.  What’s good about Graham’s songs are they make you think.  Some of them may be toe tappers, but most of them have an underlying message to get out there.  


What Are Their Names was short and sweet as usual, one of Crosby’s politically charged thinking songs.  It warmed us up for They Want it All.  Graham told a story about a giant Jesus statue that inspired him to write Jesus of RioCamera was dedicated to David’s father who was a photographer and cinematographer.  Graham said that he shot High Noon the classic film from the 50’s.  Orleans was the introduction to the momentous Cathedral.  The next in the line of hit laden songs was Our House.  Graham let the audience sing as usual and it was fun because everyone knows the words to this song.  Next up was Military Madness one of my favorite Graham songs.  He used to sing about Bush, but now has switched to Obama in the “and I hope Obama discovers” instead of “I hope Bush remembers, what’s driving the people mad” bit.  Almost Cut My Hair was a Crosby standard.  Leave it to Crosby to write a song about cutting your hair and then have it all fall out.  They closed the main set with Wooden Ships.  It was a nice jam session for everyone to show off their musical prowess. 

They came back on for the obligatory Teach Your Children and after letting us sing a bit, the song ended and then Graham started one of my favorite rockers, Chicago.  As soon as it ended, he sang “goodnight” into the mic, letting us know that show was really over.  Stacey was off in a mad dash to get to the tour bus.  She had told me she learned there was a VIP reception for Graham and Nash and that she would have more time than she thought to get down to the bus.  I was waiting in line for the lanyard and she was waiting to see her idol.  I missed Graham, and of all of them, Graham and Stephen are the ones I would love to meet.  I actually own a Stephen Stills signature guitar, and love it.  I wasn’t too keen on waiting around for David Crosby to come out because I could picture him being distant and cold…nail on the head people.  He wouldn’t even lift his head and say ‘hi’ to us.  He treated us like lepers.  He avoided us like the plague.  I don’t care if he was ‘tired’ or had a ‘bad’ day or whatever else excuse they use, you can at least wave to the people that shelled out money to come see you and waited in the rain too.  But on the bright side, we did get to see James Raymond.  He was very nice, actually stopped to chat for a bit and even signed our ticket stub.  Not like father like son!  


A note about the filming: it was very distracting being at the concert and watching the camera people walk in front of David and Graham all night, so it must have been just as distracting being them.  During each song, the steadicam would make it’s way in front of the boys and then there was the camera on the jib to do the sweeping crane shots.  I would love to see this concert so if anyone taped it…let me know. 

Guest Blogger Stacey's account:

I've loved these guys since I first saw them when I was a freshman in High School (CSN was my very first 'big concert'), and have an especially warm spot in my heart for Graham Nash.

First let me say, WHAT a performance!!!  It was perfection, and their band (which included James Raymond, Crosby's son) was amazing.  They televised it live in HD, so there were camera people everywhere and it was very exciting, but the electrifying atmosphere was due to the band and their performance, not the hype.

After the concert, I waited outside in the alleyway between theater and the bus, hoping... There was a "meet and greet" after the concert, so I had to wait a bit, but after awhile, Graham came walking by.  The security guy was rushing him along, even though there were only a handful of people outside.

I said, "Graham, I've been waiting 35 years to just say thank you"

He stopped and smiled, extended his hand and said, "Come here, Hon, give me a hug" and stepped away from the security guy.  We embraced, and I kissed him on the cheek. He was kind and gracious, and even signed my copy of his photography book (which I brought with me, kind of hoping...)  My life is complete :)



8 Miles High
I Used to Be King
Wasted on the Way
Long Time Gone
Lay Me Down
Lee Shore
Just a Song
Slice of Time
Don’t Dig Here
Critical Mass/Wind on the Water
Cowboy Movie
Marrakesh Express
Déjà vu

Simple Man
Guinnevere
In Your Name
What Are Their Names
They Want It All
Jesus of Rio
Camera
Orleans-Cathedral
Our House
Military Madness
Almost Cut My Hair
Wooden Ships

Teach Your Children
Chicago


A note: the pictures with the date burned in are from Lori, so thanks Lori for being there to share in the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment