Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Happy 70th Birthday Macca!


Words can’t express what this man and his music have meant to my life.  Yes I rag on him a lot for this stale setlists, use of teleprompter, inability to sing well anymore, but he’s my idol and I respect him.  I came close to meeting him once.  I was at a Paul Simon concert and he was about 10 rows away.  I spotted him first and whispered to Austin “there’s Paul McCartney.”  The crowd lost their shit just by catching a glimpse at him.  Seeing him in the flesh, and not on stage wearing his old suspenders and tie endeared him to me.  I taught myself to sing by singing his songs, which explains my singing voice.  I was, and still am a Paul McCartney solo fan first.  Then I stumbled upon this other band he used to be in before Wings called The Beatles.  The Beatles made a pretty nice noise and I can see why 50 years on, new generations are experiencing the magic.  I first saw my idol in concert in 2002.  What a night that was, you can read the ‘rewind’ blog entry all about that special evening above.  I have since seen him 7 times total. 

Enjoy the ride Sir Paul, because there will never be another one of you, ever!  Congrats on the first 7 decades, I know you will be around for at least 7 more, just hope I’m here to see it too!     

And I also wanted to lay to rest a rumor that Paul owns the rights to "Happy Birthday," he does not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment